11 July 2006

A Gaggle of Quotes

I've been quite absorbed in my own thoughts today, and don't have any that I can really share with you. So now I'm going to do something I swore never to do, and that paradoxically I've been meaning to do for a while, and share a few eclectic quotes with you. Each of these quotes has become a part of me in a rather post-modern way. "Nothing outside the text" and all that. Sometimes I feel as though all I am is a collection of all that I have read (see You've Got Mail quote). So here they are, some of the anthem of texts that make up my life. Hopefully they aren't too cliche for you.

"I'm afraid of time. . . . I mean, I'm afraid of not having enough time. . . . Not enough time to understand people, how they really are, or to be understood myself. I'm afraid of the quick judgements and mistakes that everybody makes. You can't fix them without time. I'm afraid of seeing snapshots instead of movies."
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Ann Brashares

" To fight for the right
Without question or pause,
To be willing to march into hell
For a heavenly cause!

And I know, if I'll only be true
To this glorious Quest,
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest.

And the world will be better for this,
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach the unreachable stars!"
- "The Impossible Dream," Man of La Mancha

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
- Alma 26:12

"What I mean is you've never been hurt before . . . . You've gotten so good at hiding who you really are that you're afraid to show the real you. The fake you pretends she doesn't feel pain, even if she gets hurt. But the real [you] feels it deep in her heart. And the person you're afraid will hurt you most is [the one you love]. Being afraid of getting hurt makes you selfish. You're protecting your own feelings instead of considering the feelings of the one you love. But isn't love the opposite of that?"
- Kare Kano, Masami Tsuda
(Incidentally, this is a brilliant anime series, if you're looking for an example of how the genre can have more meaning than, say, Digimon. In particular, the first six episodes are a brilliant masterpiece in timing and dialogue. At least, I think so.)
"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."
-John Donne

"So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"
- You've Got Mail

" I thought home was all I'd ever want
My attic all I'd ever need.
Now nothing feels the way it was before
And I don't know how to proceed.
I only know I'm meant for something more
I've got to know if I can be
Astonishing"
- "Astonishing," Little Women The Musical

No comments: